Breakthrough is a new non-profit on a mission to transform the impact of grassroots campaigning. Our flagship programme the Breakthrough Accelerator equips grassroots groups and people with direct experience of injustice with the strategy, tools, advice and networks they need to break through to create lasting, sustainable change. In the next five years we plan to take at least 15 high impact campaigns from launch to transformational impact, winning fundamental change on national issues – and supporting dozens of new social justice leaders emerge onto the national stage.
Breakthrough is founded by and supported by people with decades of experience at the forefront of some of the most high profile people powered campaigns in the UK – from putting a woman on a banknote to supporting survivors and bereaved families of the Grenfell Tower fire. We are building Breakthrough based on a deep understanding of what it really takes to win change.
We are looking for a Campaigns Manager or Campaigns Associate (experience dependent) to join our new team. You will have a key role directly working with groups on our programmes to support them to develop and run effective campaigns. You’ll need to be a strong campaigner to spot opportunities in media, in politics and creatively to get issues onto the agenda – and you’ll be good at thinking ahead to see clearly a route to impact. You’ll be someone who builds trust, a good listener and a supportive partner – working to share knowledge, skills and add capacity to the groups we work with. You’ll have a belief in the power of advocacy and campaigns led by people with direct experience of injustice to deliver lasting change.
A can-do and entrepreneurial attitude is essential – you’ll be joining a start-up non-profit determined to show that supporting people with direct experience of injustice is the most impactful way of making change. Becoming part of the founding team, you’ll need to pitch in around your campaigning role, working closely with the Executive Director, Board and our advisory team to support the organisation to grow, communicate our vision, and be part of building a collaborative and inspiring culture.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have strong experience in campaigning, media, public affairs or policy work.
- Have strong strategic thinking and a focus on impact – with an understanding of how media, public action and advocacy can combine to drive change.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills – with an ability to take complex information and turn it into sharp copy that engages different audiences.
- A sharp news sense and a strong appetite for a broad range of media, with an eye to spot emerging issues and trends.
- An understanding of the political landscape and an ability to apply political knowledge to develop effective campaign approaches and tactics.
- Strong relationship building and deep listening skills to build trust and work in a collaborative ways with a range of partners.
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills.
Desirable but not essential – if you have skills in these areas let us know in your application – but they are not an essential requirement to apply.
- Experience in digital campaigning and producing content for social media
- Experience of working with or influencing Parliamentarians and policy making
- Experience of community organising or teaching campaigning techniques
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the support for campaign groups on our accelerator and catalyst programmes. Co-creating campaign strategies with each group and ensuring they receive the support, advice and networks they need to achieve their goals.
- Support each campaign group to run impactful campaigns – including by pitching campaigns to the media, organising stunts, supporting groups to meet with decision makers, researching policy areas, preparing campaign materials and more.
- Build partnerships and maintain relationships with organisations and experts in our Breakthrough Network to widen the support we can offer to campaigns.
- Review news, social media, and maintain strong networks across sectors in order to identify high potential groups that would benefit from our support.
- Build and maintain relationships with organisations, activists, grassroots campaigners, journalists, lawyers and more in key issues to ensure they know about Breakthrough and what we offer.
- Run campaign training and coaching sessions.
- Support Breakthrough communications, working with the Executive Director to raise awareness of Breakthrough through blogs, social media, events and more.
- Be a responsive, engaged and communicative team member who actively contributes to the development of Breakthrough, helping to build an inclusive and inspiring organisation.
SALARY & DETAILS:
- Campaigns Manager: £44,000/pa full time or Campaign Associate: £32,000/pa full time. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
- We are happy to consider applications for people wishing to work 4-days a week, with pay adjusted pro-rata.
- This is a 1 year fixed term contract, with intention to extend (funding dependent).
- We are committed to creating a diverse, open and inclusive working environment and especially encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Remote working, anywhere in England or Wales. Our Executive Director is based in Bristol. You’ll need to travel to Bristol, Birmingham or London approximately once a month for in person team sessions and there will be some UK travel to meet up with groups we work with.
The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK.
Please send a CV along with a cover letter (no more than 2 pages) outlining how your experience meets what we are looking for, to firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, 12th May 2023.